Ellen's Restaurants

L.A. Is My Beat - The Restaurants of Los Angeles as I experience them

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Dupar's @ Farmers Market

Ah, the good ol' days!

Dupar's Restaurant is finally open at the Original Farmers Market after being closed for two years. The owners of the old Tiny Naylor's and Biff's Coffee Shops took over and totally updated the aging place. They did an excellent job of refurbishing. The place looks almost the same, just cleaner and neater. They did get rid of the counter, however and replaced it with a huge dining table for large parties. I'll miss the counter. It was always nice to sit, have a slice of pie and chit-chat with your neighbor. That's what the Farmers Market is all about for me....chit-chatting with neighbors and feeling that sense of community.
Excellent Lemonade
Brit and Ted Peruse the Menu Most of us tried the Chicken Pot Pie T.K. had the Meatloaf Dinner Ted had Turkey w/ all the fixin's Stuart had French Toast w/ a side of bacon Tatiana had the Cheeseburger
Anyway, our regular Wednesday night dinner group included 10 of us last night: Amy, Stuart, T.K., Tatiana, Rob, Ted, Brit, Jack, Larry and me. Most of us had been frequent visitors to the old Dupar's, so this was a test to see how the new menu compared to the old one. Well, the menu hasn't changed much, but the prices certainly have! We used to be able to get the Chicken Pot Pie for $5.25. Now the Chicken Pot Pie costs $10.20. It was really delicious though and much larger and more full o' chicken chunks than past pies. We ordered a variety of dishes. Everything was tasty, especially the lemonade. We were too full for dessert, but will return soon to see how the famous pies are.
Dupar's added a patio dining area next to the parking lot. I'm not sure I would want to sit in the parking lot, but there is a fence. Landscaping will probably be added to shield you from angry motorists.
Patio Dining at Dupar's
I know that a few people are not that happy with the food at the new Dupar's, but from what I've seen and tasted the food is good, the atmosphere and service are good, even if the prices are somewhat higher than the good ol' days!

Dupar's at the Original Farmers Market
3rd and Fairfax, Los Angeles

15 Comments:

At 1:57 PM , Blogger christianne said...

I've never been, so will have to give it a try when I'm in the area!

 
At 3:58 PM , Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I can't help hearing "chicken-pot-chicken-pot-chicken pot PIE!"

But at $10 a pop?! A little pricey.

 
At 9:06 AM , Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

We went last night - LOVE the new look and am so glad it is back filling the big DuPar's void. I wasn't super impressed with the food, but I definitely have a few things in mind yet to try. My daughter's French Dip was awesome. My salad, not so much. I can't *wait* to try the chicken pot pie.

I'm just so happy that there's light and activity in that corner of the FM again!

 
At 3:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it is anything like the DuPars in Thousand Oaks, Don't waste your time, go somewhere else!

 
At 4:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the Dupars of old, The "new" Dupars is nothing like the old one, both Thousand Oaks and Farmers Market, Cold food, Shoddy service, and prices that are WAY to high, Better off going to Ihop!

 
At 7:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

After driving by for almost two years and seeing nothing, I was so happy to see Dupars open again. Last weekend I went in to give them a try. I was dismayed to see that they had taken out the counter, I had to sit in a booth . My coffee came to me lukewarm. When I asked my waitress if she could have the cooks put the butter on my pancakes, she said "shure, and brought me my pancakes dry with my butter on the side!.......And them I got the bill! I hope they get better, I think they are under new managment.

 
At 7:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, I was rather dissapointed, I have had better food at 7-11. Not like the old Dupars.

 
At 8:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the new Dupars at the Farmers Market and had a chicken pot pie, coffee, and a slice of apple pie, My bill was 20.00! The service was slow, even though it was not busy. The coffee was ok, but not what I remember it to be, and everyone was right, It was lukewarm right from the start. Doubt I will go back!

 
At 4:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife and I went to the new Dupars a few days ago, The food was ok....just ok, but the prices are WAY too high.

 
At 10:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrible food, slow service, Won't go back!

 
At 3:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the old Dupars, for those of you that don't know, Dupars was bought out a few years ago by "Biff" Naylor ( the guy who ran the Tiny Naylors resturaunts right into the ground ) In my opinion, he does not know how to run a resturaunt, ( My wife worked for him for a few years and got sick of her paychecks bouncing!) I give him a year until he does the same with Dupars..( Sub Pars!)

 
At 5:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went about a month ago and the Meatloaf didn't taste like any meatloaf I had ever had. I want to say that they used used ground turkey instead of beef but I could be wrong. I also thought the booths were a really bouncy, but they might just need to be broken in a little more.

 
At 6:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

DUPARS NOT GOOD WAITRESSES,
ESPECIALLY THE WHITE GIRL ONLY WANTS TO SERVE BIG TABLES I SAT FOR 10 MINS I HAD TO ASK FOR SERVICE MOST OF THE WAITRESSES ARE HOME GIRLS WHO DONT KNOW HOW TO SERVE KOKOMOS IS BETTER

 
At 11:48 PM , Blogger Burbank Joe said...

12/30/07
Grew up near the Glendale Dupars - that was a great coffee shop. Took my daughter and a friend to Farmer's Market location tonight and had dirty silverware and "worst Cherry and pretty bad Chocolate pie" - girl's words - coffee was only warm too. Broke my heart, 'cause I told them that it was going to be a real old-school classic joint. I wish them well turning this around and hope they start soon.

 
At 4:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh oh... I used to go to Du-Pars as a kid in the 50's... for the pancakes. Now, I'm revisiting the city (I live in Raleigh, NC) and taking my lady there to experience the best pancakes on the planet. Will someone please let me know if they're still the same or if the new owners bought the restaurant but not the recipe. If you can believe this - the pancakes at Du-Pars is one of the main reasons for my visit to L.A.!
Howard

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery