Ellen's Restaurants

L.A. Is My Beat - The Restaurants of Los Angeles as I experience them

Thursday, March 08, 2007

El Coyote

OK, OK...I know that many people do not like the food at El Coyote on Beverly Blvd. I've been going there ALLL my life. My parents (who were married for 60 years) used to go there on dates. Larry and I had our first REAL date there. It's all about Los Angeles history! I remember the owner, Mrs. March working the cash register when I was a little girl. I have many happy memories of this restaurant.
The decor is over the top kitschy, but that's what makes it such a fun place! Who doesn't like velvet paintings of Pancho Villa with glowing eyes, along with plastic flowers in bird cages? It's dark, relaxing and a huge, rambling place.
That stated, I still like the food there. Granted, it's not exactly the newer, fresher Mexican food we've become accustomed to, but the flavors and textures of most of the dishes are still wonderful. I love their creamy guacamole. The margaritas are some of the best in town. There's something about the flavor of the rice. I'm sure it must be cooked in chicken broth to give it that rich, fullness. Who doesn't like orange cheese on their refried beans? My favorite dinner is the #4: Beef taco, chile relleno, rice and beans. The relleno is like a puffed up omelet with mild Spanish sauce on top. It's yummy and satisfying. the prices are extremely reasonable too!
Larry and I were there just the other night, re-living our fond memories and enjoying the essence that is El Coyote.
El Coyote Spanish Cafe
7312 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323) 939-2255

3 Comments:

At 12:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love El Coyote too! The green corm tamales and mexican pizza are our favorites. And the Guacamole combo is not to be beat.

They have a plein air style painting in the ladies room that I would love to have.

It's been used twice lately as location for TV shows; in "Ugly Betty" episode where she quits and is forced to work briefly as a waitress, and in Season 1 episode of "The Hills"...one of the young couples went on a date there. Probably was used a lot more than this, but these are the two that I caught.

I would live at El Coyote if I could.

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger LA City Nerd said...

Thanks for the inspiration! Check out the post on El Coyote here.

 
At 1:12 PM , Blogger christianne said...

Never been there before, but I've heard they have fantastic margs!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery