Ellen's Restaurants

L.A. Is My Beat - The Restaurants of Los Angeles as I experience them

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Rae's Diner


I've posted about the diners, grills and lunchstands of Santa Monica before. Since I work in this City, I'm always ready to discover new and "old" places for a quick, satisfying lunch. One of those places is Rae's Diner on Pico and Yorkshire in East Santa Monica (between Centinela and Stewart).

I hadn't been to Rae's Diner since I was a student at Santa Monica College many, many moons ago. Those were the days when you get could get a burger, fries and a coke for about $2. I ate lunch yesterday at Rae's and was nicely surprised that the same meal from the early 1970's is only about $5 today. It was delicious. The hamburger meat was good quality, the bun was toasted, the fries were thick and beautifully fried. The service was excellent too.

I've been frequenting Rae's in the past year since I started taking ukulele lessons at McCabe's Guitar Shop. When class is in session, they are held on Monday nights at 8pm. I often meet my friend, Nancy for dinner at Rae's. Nancy lives a few blocks from the Diner. I've had their tuna sandwich and some breakfast selections. All have been excellent. Rae's gets a crowd for weekend breakfasts and it is a small place with some booths and counter seating, so be prepared for a wait.


The next time Larry and I are in Santa Monica in the evening, I'll be sure to try Rae's meatloaf or turkey special.
Where's your favorite burger stand? Inquiring minds need to know!
Rae's Diner
2901 Pico Blvd, Santa Monica, CA
310/828-7937

7 Comments:

At 1:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, how did I miss this place? I do seem to recall seeing it while driving by. But I've never been to it, even when we lived in S.M. back in the 70s. This is near the old Kelbo's spot right?

I wish there were more of these places closer to me. This is exactly my kind of place, homey and tasty!

Well, back to the grind...argghhhh......

 
At 3:09 PM , Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Christine!
This is waaay west of Kelbo's. It's across the street and about 4 blocks west of Stitches From The Heart and Trader Joe's. We actually could have had lunch here when you worked in Santa Monica. Sigh.

 
At 4:52 PM , Blogger mary said...

Ooh, memories of life just after graduation. My hubby (boyfriend at the time) and I would go there for breakfast on the weekends. Yum-o!

 
At 12:16 PM , Blogger christianne said...

Oh, I like Rae's! I took a summer class at SMC once and the teacher used to hold her office hours there. Very "blast from the past."

 
At 2:00 AM , Blogger Abby Hansen said...

Awww, Ellen...

The original Tommy's at Beverly and Rampart?
Scarfing down two doubles before exams (I went to CSULA)...

The best.

Sorry I missed you girls tonight!

 
At 5:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, all these Rae's reviews popping up!

 
At 5:35 PM , Blogger nicoweb said...

Hi everyone,

This article is very interesting.
You can find the whole list of international Tommy's restaurants fast-foods restaurants at http://www.fast-foods-restaurants.com/ .
I will take more time now to read the others posts of this definitively interestant blog.

Thanks and good lunch/dinner :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery