Ellen's Restaurants

L.A. Is My Beat - The Restaurants of Los Angeles as I experience them

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

La Playita


I read about La Playita on The Great Taco Hunt. Since this place is within easy driving distance of my office, I decided to give it a try. I've been back several times over the last six months. I love the food here!

Medium Shrimp Cocktail

True, there's no place to sit, except for this ledge-like stainless steel bench. There's also a shallow counter along the side of the building where you can stand and eat your meal. I've had the taco de carnitas....good; the chicken burrito....good and the shrimp cocktail...EXCELLENT. The seafood is so very fresh. They serve the shrimp cocktail in an insulated cup with chunks of avocado in a gazpacho-like sauce. On another plate there are 3 fried tortillas with wedges of lime. I usually order the medium size which costs $6 and is absolutely loaded with shrimp. A can of soda is 75 cents.
If you can't find street parking, you can park in the Big Lots parking lot, just south of La Playita. One-stop shopping at it's finest!
La Playita is open seven days a week from 9am to 11 pm.
3306 Lincoln Blvd. @ Ozone
at the southern Santa Monica border

3 Comments:

At 11:27 AM , Blogger steve said...

You know a place like this is authentic when they've got tongue on the menu (I believe they've got beef and pork varieties here).

 
At 4:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!

This place looks fantastic. It's quite close to my house. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the tip, Ellen!

Diane
Santa Monica

 
At 10:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what was originally sold at that stand when it was first built, or even how long ago that would have been, but before it's latest incarnation as a popular Mexican kitchen it was run by an independent donut maker.
If I remember correctly the indie baker took it over after a franchise of some sort gave up the ghost. I tried his wares more than twice because he had such an upbeat attitude.
Worst donuts I've ever eaten.
I gave up and instead continued to be dissed, overcharged and shortchanged at the old Buttery on Main St.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery