Ellen's Restaurants

L.A. Is My Beat - The Restaurants of Los Angeles as I experience them

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Tito's Tacos

Ahh...Memorial Day Weekend...the start of summer hours at my daily job. On the Friday before a holiday we usually get out at lunchtime. Then, every Friday between Memorial Day and Labor Day we get to leave at 3pm. Woo Hoo! Summer hours makes the daily grind all worthwhile.
surprisingly short lines on a Friday afternoon!
I felt so free last Friday as I zoomed out of the parking garage, that I headed for one of my teen haunts, Tito's Tacos on Washington Place in Culver City, just west of Sepulveda. Many people think that the food here is awful. Well, come on now! This is not a fine-dining experience. It's fast food, cheap and tasty. I love the sauce they pour over their cheese enchiladas. The crunch of the old fashioned taco shell is perfect with the beef, lettuce and mild salsa. Cheese on your taco is extra. The taco chips are thick and crunchy with just a hint of that clean Clorox odor, so you know the place is tidy!
retro signage on the side of the building
I've been going to Tito's since the mid-60's. It opened in 1959 right on the corner of Washington and Sepulveda. There is another taco stand at the old location now. Tito's built their new and improved, larger stand a half-block west and have been pleasing folks ever since! The menu is limited, but everything is assembled while you wait. The lines can be long at the outside windows. The service seems faster at the inside windows.
On Friday I had my usual: A taco with cheese and a cheese enchilada with a soft drink. Perfection.
Tito's Tacos
11222 Washington Pl, Culver City, CA

4 Comments:

At 2:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummmmm....Tito's. Maybe, that's where I saw you in 1966, Ellen? Standing in line at Tito's!

Carol
Venice, CA

 
At 9:30 PM , Blogger Laurie Ann said...

The only thing better than a Tito's Taco, is two.

 
At 10:38 AM , Blogger oddlyme said...

You forgot to mention their salsa. Oooh..... their salsa!

So simple but so good.

 
At 10:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Tito's Taco's terribly as I'm not living in California anymore. I still haven't found a taco place similar to Tito's tacos here in Maryland.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery